Behind the Curtain Campaign
Group: Older Family Carers
Purpose: General Election Campaign
Project Title: “Behind the Curtains”
This project is funded by the Community Foundation of Ireland and is in collaboration with the Carers Association Cork.
This project involved running a Civic Engagement Leadership Programme with Older Carers, facilitating participants to support other carers in their homes, developing a toolkit to highlight carer issues especially in the run up to general elections and developing a website which show-cases all of the above. It involves using digital-story-telling , video letters and online blogging to enable voices to be heard. The aim is to highlight issues facing older carers and those they care for, a group often hidden due to care-duties and lack of creative, collaborative digital skills.
The project supports older carers’ voices at local & national levels. The aim is to highlight concerns of older carers and older people they care for, particularly with politicians and the media in the run up to elections. Video letters and digital-stories will reach public representatives and policy-makers. The website and toolkit will reach wide audiences.
- Improved civic engagement of older carers and those (older people) they care for on issues which affect their lives and which they can sometimes find difficult to articulate because of barries and challenges;
- Improved civic leadership skills and confidence building for group of ten older carers;
- A direct impact on public representatives, the media and policy-makers who will be made aware from within homes, of the difficulties experienced by our members;
- Improved digital skills or understanding of the creative, advocacty and collaborative use of online tools based on web2 technologies;
- Improvement in lives of carers.